Thursday, August 02, 2007

Trip Story: Returning to Virginia Beach

Today, I drove from in-laws in Henderson to Virginia beach, and back (3 hours each way). I left at 6:45 this morning. My first stop was at my old school, Norfolk Academy.  I have not seen this school in 10 years. It has literally doubled in size, The athletic and fine art facilities are very impressive. The weight room was amazing as was the new auditorium. The school is really nice and impressive.

My next stop was my old neighborhood. I actually went to old house and walked around. The new owners were very nice. I did not remember the house being so small. And the neighborhood did not looked very tidy. I think the landscaping I have come accustom to seeing in Charlotte and Huntersville has made my taste change.

My next stop was Farm Fresh; I needed a few things and wanted to shop there. Call me sentimental.

I then went to the beach up North at 72nd street, where I use to go to the beach. Va. Beach has undertaken a major beach replacement strategy. The northern beaches now have several rows of beach dunes plus it was about 75 yards from the end of the walk to the actual edge of the water. Wow, it is a long way and hot.

The water was much rougher here than Myrtle beach. I certainly how forgotten that.

After this, I went to visit my old neighbor, Mrs. Pankey, who had just moved. It was nice to see and realistically the last time I will most likely ever see her. On the way, I went through Bay Colony, the place I would want to live at the Beach but can not afford.

I grabbed some lunch and went to done to the Boardwalk to eat and see this part of the Beach. I was amazed and the number of the large hotels.  Marriott has the five large hotels alone. Va. Beach is looking alot like Myrtle Beach.And then rode down to the end of the beach to 1st street. This were as a young teenager I went surfing. I simply spent a few minutes looking around.

It was time to head back. I make a quick stop by WRV and bought a shirt and then went by Pembroke Mall area. This part of the beach is simply unreal and I felt like I was in the Southpark area of Charlotte.  Very different. I hit Dicks sporting's good to buy some UVA stuff. Very cool to be able to find this and got some incredible deals.

Observations

  • Croatan, on the south side of Rudee Inlet looks like it has some amazing houses now.
  • I enjoyed my visit but did not want to move back
  • Traffic was heavy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home