Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Remembering Tennyson Mann

Tennyson Mann went home to the Lord on Feb. 10th. He was a great man, part of a whole generation of great men.

I do not know my paternal grandfather; I have seen that man across a crowded room but he does not know me nor he know me. But in some sense,  I have had a grandfather figure in my life all along. Tennyson has been a mentor to my father for years, and his lessons have passed along to me and subsequently to my children.  Our value of education is part of the message, part of mantra that my kids know that going to college is an expectation in life, with all of pointing at the finest institutions around us.

We vacationed together for years, going to Myrtle beach for a week. I stopped going but my parents and Margaret and Tenn continued spending time together for years. More recently we have the chance to spend Christmas with the Manns, which was a joy.

I realized last night that I will never hear this again .."Hello, Christopher". Tenn always called me by my proper name, and when he we say hello my ears would snap to attention. This salutation would be quickly followed by a strong handshake every time. He was a man of integrity and character, and was always there in a time of need. I will miss those words, said with that voice. BTW, he was the only person besides my mother who my proper name.

For the Manns, Tennyson was great grandfather, always so proud of his grand kids, a father to his last day, and a devoted husband. We grieve his passing, and the immense hole in all of our lives he has left. But we most remember his amazing life, his incredible impact and legacy that is literally in us and around us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home