Monday, February 18, 2008

Tenn's Funeral

Today was a day I knew would come. When I found out that my uncle had cancer, I knew it would in some manner kill him. It was the inevitable.  Tenn was not afraid to die, for he knew he was heaven bound. But he was afraid of the dying process, of losing his dignity and quality of life. So how he died was such a blessing.

We drove up and back today to Altavista for the family funeral. As I was leaving, Dona handed me a hat of Tenn's, a rather interesting golf hat. The important thing is not what it was, but whose it was.

I have several items of my maternal Grandfather's in house, including a picture of him with Richard Nixon and a couple of shirts, that 21 years later I still cherish.

My most important possession is a clock, that hung in his house. It is not a very expensive clock, in fact the story goes is that he actually traded for it. which sounds right to me.

I have looked online and my best guess is the clock would fetch somewhere south of $100. But because of whose it was and where it was, this clock is invaluable to my family. The mere sound of the clock brings back a flood of memories. In fact, when my grandmother died, this simple, wound clock in less than mint condition was the one possession that all of us wanted. So it is priceless.  And with Tenn's illness and death, I have been reminded how valuable the clock truly is;and I have become more committed to keep that clock wound and running.

Dona, thank you for the hat, it was a small memento of your father. I encourage you and your family to look around for those mementos that are priceless to only you. As an example, in your mother's guest bathroom sits a picture of a little boy and girl (you know the one). To  most, this is a cute photo but to me this has always been part of your parent's house (strange huh), a small thing that was part of these house. Like Grandmother and Granddaddy's penny picture of the year they were married, that hung in their house and then in their room at the Methodist home. These are the items that we can carry with us, that brings a smile to our faces and warms our hearts with found memories of loved ones. 

 

Time to wind that clock

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home