Friday, August 27, 2010

Thoughts from Cape Cod trip

We returned from a long trip, weaving our way to Cape Cod a for a week’s stay.  Here are some rather random thoughts

Virginia Beach

We stopped by my hometown. I had been back 3 years ago, but this was different. I showed my kids (not sure they cared) where I went to school. And where I lived. Plus I rode the boardwalk and beach with my oldest daughter. That was so much fun. I still do not want to live there but miss the beach at times. We took the bay bridge tunnel over the Eastern shore. I figured it had been 29 years since I crossed the bridge.

Ocean City/Rehobeth Beach

We spent two nights with my uncle in Rehobeth Beach. We rode bikes, did the boardwalk in Rehobeth, ate Thrasher french fries and generally played tourist.  We had a blast.

Cape Cod

It was different. Not a real beach trip per say. The weather was low humidity, lower temps, and generally nice. We rode bikes as a family, kayaked, went to the beach a couple of times.  We also went to Martha’s vineyard for a day – and jumped off the bridge . Some thoughts:

  • Dunking Doughnuts everywhere – seriously. Amazing to see how many they had.
  • Ice cream – great ice cream – Sundae School was the winner
  • Pizza – great, great pizza
  • Great seafood – we found some great places
  • Biking – I rode the rail trail a bunch plus toured myself. The cape was bike friendly and a great place to ride. Loved it
  • Beaches – in general not impressed – either too rough, too sharky, or just not great.

Charlottesville

Had a chance to see David and Ellen Turner – what a blessing. And I rode UVA early Monday morning, seeing the grounds and extended up close. I really enjoyed that.

Observations

  1. The national highway system is ok but a couple critical places are bad, bad shape. We took the George Washington bridge in NYC. That road was beyond horrible. And so important that I have no idea how to fix it. But that road is way under sized. It’s land locked and needs to be twice as large.
  2. 66 in DC was not much better – truly rough road. It’s nice further out but still not what it should be. And again way too small. and land locked
  3. I drove many highways for the first time in years. And the country continues to expand.
  4. I love the south. I enjoyed the trip but love the south 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home