Thursday, January 08, 2009

Dumb moves by major universities on College Football coaches

As a young man, I was official sports nut. Before the Web, I lived for SportsCenter and followed a ton of different sports. As I have gotten older, I have needed to whittle this list down.

College football remains probably my favorite sport. I watch others, like golf and NFL, but college football stirs the drink.  Heck, I started cooking dinner on Saturday as an excuse to watch football.  So, here is my diatribe.

2 dumb moves this year as it pertains to college football

1. Auburn – ok, I know you want to be a powerhouse. But firing Tuberville? He just came off beating Alabama six times in a row. They have wanted to “upgrade” for a while, flirting with Bobby Petrino. This move is really wrong and I truly hope Auburn enters purgatory. I can not wait for Auburn alums to pine for the good ole days of Tommy. And his replacement is no winner either.  They can thank Bill Lowder, the modern day king maker at Auburn.

2 Boston College - Athletic director Gene DeFilipp will fire Jeff Jagodzinski for talking to the Jets. Ok, I know you want to keep your coach and you can argue that Jagodzinski is still coaching O’brien’s kids. But he took a team which lost alot this year to the ACC championship. What kind of coach will you get who will live with these types of handcuffs?  BC is not a destination school for football coaches. Makes no sense and DeFilipp will ruin BC football.

Now for the sad. I agree that it was probably the time for Fulmer to leave at Tennessee. But as Vol fan, it was hard. I really like Fulmer and his time at UT will be remembered well. He won a national championship. I fear that Lane Kiffin is in over his head BUT he is assembling a great staff. Now can they recruit and grow the kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home