Thursday, January 15, 2009

Moving to Direct TV

Time for another move for cost moves. Last time was moving to VOIP. So far Ok but not great.

Time to cut the cable. Three reasons:

1. costs- TTWC keeps adding costs each year; we keep cutting service but this is getting old.

2. Quality – I have had to turn so much hardware over time to TWC.

3. The most horrible customer service ever – I think because we are former Adelphia customer we are in some special category, but every time I make an account change they screw up our cable. And can not fix it.  Seriously, if my bank acted like TWS< we would be out of business.

I am not sure if it is because of the nature of the monopoly or what but TWC is really a bad company. They have increased the HD channels this year (I think as a reaction to Dish and Direct TV) but still.

So, I signed us up for Direct TV. And it was awesome. Here is why:

A good friend has Direct TV. As such, he referred me. In doing so, we b0th get a $50 off our bills. Pretty cool.  So I called in and walk through the deal of signing up. I ended up owning them $106 for a DVR receiver. Fine. The bill each month was still like $20 month cheaper than TWC plus we got back a box in the play room.

We had one up there with TWC  and turned it in to save $$, along with getting rid of HBO and Starz this fall.

So, we get more for less. hum, nice idea.

After that I am done, I have to call back in to get the reward set up. But something is amiss. so I get a hold of a rep and have to go through the process all again. But here is why this was better. First, she waived the fee for the DVR and refunded my money.  And I got a $10 discount for an entire year. And this was because of the hassle of having to call back in? Customer service? What’s this – So far so good. 

So it will cost like $35 less a month – nice and I am getting alot of sports channels – unlike the 10 channel sports pack from TWC – a real sports pack.

And we get HBO and Starz for the first three months for free – man it will be nice to be wanted again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home