Monday, January 19, 2009

Updating the home computer network

As the kids get older, we need to add compute power to the household. So here is a project; add a new computer and migrate the rest. The roster:

  • Sony Viao running XP in the playroom – crashed again- purchased as a factory refurb off uBid in 2003
  • Dell in the study running XP media in the study – main computer – 2007 off eBay
  • The router

The Plan

Take the Viao and turn it into a dedicated backup server in the study. Take the Dell and put into the playroom. And buy a new machine.  Add another printer.

Ubuntu and the Viao

I decided to put Linux on the Viao. It sounded like the perfect solution for the problem.  I choose Ubuntu client. I downloaded the ISO and created a CD.  Loaded into the Viao and away it went. I decided to nuke the machine with a complete fresh. It went perfect and I was very impressed by the product.  It has everything I think you need to run as client.  It it was relatively quick on the hardware we had.  Very impressed.

Backup up to Linux

The first task is to back up the machines to the new Linux client. Bunch of research later on Google, I started looking at rysnc. I t was very promising. However after two hours, I gave up. I think it is the right answer but I decided to use a hammer. So I have built a set of batch files that will wipe out the last update (remove the directory via rmdir), create the directory again, and finally xcopy the entire the directory into the directory. Crude but effective given I have  strong connections between machines. Took some trial and error (almost wiped out my hard drive on this laptop). But it works now and I can schedule this to run weekly via the Windows scheduler.  Problem solved for now.

New machine

I ordered a new AMD machine with 4Gig of RAM and 500G hard drive. The machine is mainly a email, web browser, Quicken type of machine. I did not need a very big video processor. Nice machine with lots of USB ports. I debated which OS to install. I have an MSDN subscription so I had some options. Thought about Windows 7 (too risky), Vista (why would I again) or XP home. I went with XP Home SP3. The machine is simply a brick with a BIOS.  Made the install, added the motherboard and video card driver (supplied) and set the machine up.  Nice box and everything appears to be working. Seller was allpczone. Good stuff

I had to hold a week before I could start moving machines around. Ruth’s science project was due and that needed to get done.

So now we have moved the old Dell to the playroom, added a wireless USB network controller and the new machine in its spot.  I moved Ginny’s files via the Linux machine and so far so good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home